Theatre Artists’ Co-operative: The Independent Collective Series invites artists, creators, collectives and companies to submit a proposal to TACTICS—Ottawa’s curated and cooperative indie theatre series.
We are currently accepting proposals for projects in various stages of development for consideration in both the Mainstage and/or Workshop Series.
TACTICS provides independent creators and producers a development and presenting platform, affording artists the opportunity to take risks and dream big with their art.
TACTICS seeks to ensure Ottawa is a city for artistic development. Our artists can create work in response to the needs of the story and the artists involved, and they strive for artistic excellence. Further, TACTICS aims to program timely and relevant works that make the most of the liveness of theatre. We believe that to build and maintain an audience for live theatre, productions must create a meaningful theatrical experience that is different from what audiences can stream online at home for free.
- In the Mainstage Series, TACTICS embraces larger-scale works that exceed the production limitations of Fringe and other in-repetition festivals.
- In the Workshop Series, local creators have the chance to develop new works in a supported workshop environment.
TACTICS will support selected artists by providing:
- a venue
- technical and promotional support
- a guaranteed fee and/or payout of box office revenue
- artistic feedback where appropriate
- and (most importantly) a collaborative producing environment
Applications will be evaluated based on their adherence to the TACTICS mandate, the viability of the project, demonstrated history of production by team members, and the innovative potential of the project. Programming decisions will be made by the series curator in consultation with a jury of two others.
For more information regarding producing with TACTICS, please email series curator Bronwyn Steinberg at email@example.com.
Artists interested in participating in the Mainstage and/or Workshop Series in the next three seasons (2019-2022) are invited to submit a proposal. Proposals will be reviewed as we receive them, and we will let you know in six to eight weeks if your project will be moving to the next phase of consideration.
2019-2020 MAINSTAGE SERIES: July 15, 2019.
(Note: if we are interested in your project, we may be able to provide a letter of support for your OAC Theatre Projects grant application, due August 1, so please submit ASAP!)
2019-2020 WORKSHOP SERIES: August 30, 2019.
We will continue to accept submissions after this time, but they will be considered for future seasons.
In your proposal package, please include:
- A one-page description of your project
- CVs or biographies of core creative team members
- Answers to questionnaire below
- Up to 10 pages of the script (or, for non-text-based work, an outline of the piece)
- Additional support material as available (images, video, sound, etc.)
We welcome alternative application formats where appropriate.
- What makes your piece relevant in Ottawa in 2019?
- How does your production make the most of the liveness of theatre?
- What is the long-range timeline of your project, and when would you aim to work with TACTICS?
- For Mainstage proposals, what makes your show difficult or impossible to produce at Fringe, other touring festivals, or as a stand-alone rental in a proscenium theatre?
- For Workshop proposals, how will a supported workshop inform your creative process?
Submissions should be emailed as PDFs to Bronwyn Steinberg at firstname.lastname@example.org